Sources have confirmed that Prince Charles spoke to both Prince William and Prince Harry in the weeks leading up to the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee anniversary, prior to the monarch’s announcement on Saturday. Prince Charles personally called Prince Harry to tell him that it was the Queen’s sincere wish for Camilla to be known as Queen Consort, it is understood.
Sources have confirmed to The Mirror that the Prince of Wales spoke to both of his sons in the weeks leading up to the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee anniversary, prior to the monarch’s bombshell announcement on Saturday.In the surprising announcement, Queen Elizabeth II declared it was her “sincere wish” that Camilla take on the title of Queen Consort.
The move was hailed as an “extraordinary” gesture by royal watchers.She broke the news in an address to mark the anniversary of her taking the throne 70 years ago on February 6.For years insiders were sure Camilla would take the title Princess Consort when Prince Charles became King. But conventional wisdom was brushed aside in the bombshell 10pm statement from the Palace, announcing the monarch’s wish that Camilla be known as Queen Consort.
The conversation between the Duke of Sussex and his father come after concerns of a rift between the pair, following Harry’s departure from life as a senior working royal.
A royal expert last year suggested Prince Charles was hit hard by Prince Harry’s decision to quit the Royal Family and move to the US.Royal journalist and author Robert Jobson said: “I think that he [Charles] was closer to Harry and that’s why it’s hit him quite hard with what’s happened with Harry.”The comments came amid claims Harry had “broken the ice” and taken small steps in healing his rift with Charles and brother Prince William at Prince Philip’s funeral.
Harry is said to have talked briefly with Charles, but issues between the two were thought to have remained “unresolved”.However, last month it was revealed that Prince Charles has offered an olive branch to Harry by inviting his family to stay with him when they next visit the UK. Royal sources confirmed the Prince of Wales has expressed his firm wish to spend quality time with his grandchildren, having not seen Archie since he was six months old and not ever meeting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s baby daughter, Lilibet Diana, who was born in June.The offer of bringing the family together for the first time since Harry and his wife Meghan decided to quit their royal roles and set up home in California was made by the heir in the lead up to Christmas, it is understood.
But Charles’s good-natured plan, in an attempt to heal the rift between him and his son, has been thrown into doubt after Harry suggested a return would come at “too great a personal risk” due to his security situation.It was thought that Harry and Meghan would certainly make an effort to attend events to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in June.Harry is understood to have told family members he would attend a memorial service for his late grandfather Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey, which is planned for April.
However, it has emerged that the Duke of Sussex claims he is “unable to return home” after a decision following his exit from the Royal Family stripped him of his right to personal security provided by the Met Police.Royal sources have confirmed the Prince of Wales has held several “good-natured and enjoyable” video calls with his son, Meghan and the children during the past few months.